Sunday, July 25, 2010

War comes to Willy Freeman:Questions and Answers

Question from chapter 9: Explain Horace notion other people. What does this tell you about Horace?

Answer: One example that that I can give is when Willy was going to Canvas Town Horace wanted to go to with her because he heard that people have been killed there and very badly hurt. Fight each other all the time and he didn't want her to go there by her self.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Question from chapter 10-11: What conclusion does Willy come to after not finding her mother among the prisoners?

Answer: The conclusion Willy came to was that her mother was dead. In the story she said "It tied up, and unloaded the prisoners. I didn't see ma anywhere among them. The prisoners come onto the dock and went slowly off to town; and then the British officers went off, and finally I was standing there on the dock alone, with the night coming down around me, and I put my hands over my face and began to cry, with my shoulders shaking and the tears leaking out through my fingers. I'd waited two years for the war to be over so I could find her. Wasn't I ever going to see my Ma?
Finally I got myself to stop crying and walked back to the tavern. Horace and the cooks, they saw how I looked and didn't say much, but left me alone, and I lay there on my back, staring up through the dark, trying to remember what Ma looked like. But I couldn't-I couldn't get a picture of her. All I could do was forget about her. I wouldn't never see her again. She was gone-dead of taken back to England, of sold off to the west Indies. Dead, most likely, I figured, for so many of them had died on those prison ships; but whatever had happened to her, I knew I wouldn't never see her no more, so the best thing I could do was forget about her. I was on my own now. It didn't matter how old I was-I was a grown-up now, and had to look out for myself."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Question from chapter 12: Why does Willy decide to return to Iverses' after the violent episode involving Jack Arabus and captain Ivers?

Answer: It was because she had gotten her Uncle Jack into big trouble. And because she didn't want to to have Dan and her Aunt Betsy bury her Ma by there self. In the story she said " I pushed on through and after a while the woods ended and I came to a field. I crouched there and studied it. There was a barn in the middle of the field. I'd have to make a dash for it. I figured I'd be all right, because the falling snow would make me hard to see.
And then all at once it came to me that Aunt Betsy and Dan was going to have to go out into that snow all by themselves and bury Ma. She was my Ma, and I'd left somebody else to do for her. And on top of it all, I'd got Uncle Jack into into a heap of trouble, and here I was just running off and leaving them all to get out of it as best as they could. It was wrong, and I knew it." And then after that she decide to go back and help.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Question: Do you think Willy will want to say with the Arabuses or return to New York?

Answer: I think she is going to return to New York ,because in the story she said of course she was going to return to the tavern.


No comments:

Post a Comment